Typically the hottest month of the Kraków year, and a little drier than July, August is another peak month for visitors, with plenty of culture for tourists to enjoy.
Central Krakow – image © Francisco Anzola / CC BY 3.0
August is often the hottest month in Kraków, with less rainfall than the previous months. Dress for summer but keep one or two layers spare, just in case it cools down in the evening.
This is also a fantastic month for Polish culture, with live music and food taking centre stage. This means peak season for tourists and a higher premium on flights and accommodation. Make sure you book well in advance.
Also note the public holiday on August 15, when many shops and attractions will be closed.
August temperatures in Kraków:
- Average high: 24°C / 75°F
- Average low: 12°C / 54°F
Average August rainfall in Kraków:
- 45 mm / 14 days
Average August daily sunshine in Kraków:
- 6 hours
Kraków Festivals And Events In August
- Kraków Live Festival – Kraków Live Festival takes place over nights on two stages and features some of the biggest names in pop.
- Pierogi Festival – If you’re in Kraków during the second week of August, your trip may coincide with the annual celebration of the humble Polish dumpling, the Pierogi Festival. Hundreds of varieties will be vying to win the prize for the tastiest.
- August 15 – Assumption Day / Polish Army Day: A military-focused public holiday with a number of historical and religious connotations. Banks, malls, and large shops will be closed, as well as most museums and galleries. Restaurants and bars should be open.
- In addition to the events above, your trip may also coincide with the Festival of Court Dance, the Folk Art Fair, or the Music in Old Kraków festival. Old Kraków will certainly be buzzing with things to do.
- If the centre of the city gets too hectic, the outdoor region of Zakopane makes a delightful change. It’s only a few hours from Kraków and very easy to reach.
- Nearby Katowice also makes a less crowded urban destination. Just an hour away from Kraków, this largely undiscovered city has some surprising contemporary architecture and cultural institutions.
Kraków Weather Month By Month
- Kraków Climate – When Is Best To Go To Kraków?
- Kraków Weather In January
- Kraków Weather In February
- Kraków Weather In March
- Kraków Weather In April
- Kraków Weather In May
- Kraków Weather In June
- Kraków Weather In July
- Kraków Weather In August
- Kraków Weather In September
- Kraków Weather In October
- Kraków Weather In November
- Kraków Weather In December
Things To Do In Krakow
Start Planning Your Kraków Trip Now!
:: Find available Kraków hotels on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
:: Wondering where to stay in Krakow before you book your hotel? See our comprehensive guide to the city's most convenient areas for visitors.
:: Find the cheapest flight to Kraków with 12go - one search will show you the prices and times from scores of airlines for your trip. A real timesaver.
:: Book an airport transfer to take you hassle-free direct from the airport to your hotel with the driver meeting you in Arrivals.
:: Find out how to get your phone set up with a SIM card in Kraków.
:: Make sure you don't forget to bring any of the essentials with our comprehensive Packing List For Kraków.
:: World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world.
:: Get a KrakowCard 1-, 2- or 3-day pass that gives entry to almost 40 of the Kraków's fantastic attractions and unlimited use of the city's bus and tram network.
:: Need inspiration? Check our Kraków Itineraries for two-day, three-day, and four-day trips, as well as our Things To Do In Kraków guide for ideas of where to do and what to do.