Although the heart of winter, December is one of Kraków’s busiest months. Yes, it’s cold and the days are very short, but there is plenty of festive cheer to go around!
In recent years, Kraków has increasingly become a Christmas and New Year destination for travellers looking for a break. As such, December is a busy month, with the excellent Christmas markets being particularly popular. It can be a romantic alternative to staying home for the festive period.
Temperatures drop to somewhere around freezing and it gets dark pretty early. There’s a chance of snow, so make sure you pack to stay warm. On the plus side, there’s relatively little rain at this time of year.
December temperatures in Kraków:
- Average high: 2°C / 36°F
- Average low: -3°C / 27°F
Average December rainfall in Kraków:
- 27 mm / 14 days
Average December daily sunshine in Kraków:
- 1 hour
Kraków Festivals And Events In December
- Silent Film Festival – Every December, Kino Pod Baranami – a cute art cinema tucked into a palace on the main market square – organises a festival of silent films, accompanied by live music.
- December 24 – Christmas Eve: Though not a public holiday, Christmas Eve (or Wigilia) is one of the most significant dates on the Polish calendar. Most shops and businesses will close around 2pm. This is a great time to visit – see our Christmas in Kraków guide for more details.
- December 25 – First Day of Christmas: Although the main Christmas meal takes place on December 24 in Poland, the following two days are public holidays when banks, malls, and larger shops are shut. Many restaurants, bars, and convenience stores will open, however, and public transport will run on a reduced service. Museums and galleries will be shut on December 25.
- December 26 – Second Day of Christmas: As with December 25, banks, malls, and larger shops will be closed today. But plenty of restaurants, bars, and convenience stores will be open, as well as most museums and galleries.
- December 31 – New Year’s Eve: Sylwester is not an official public holiday, however most businesses and stores will close around 5pm. We also have a guide to New Year’s In Kraków.
- You will moving between the cold outdoor air and heated indoor areas. Dress in layers, so you can moderate your temperature depending on your location. Staying warm is especially important. See our full Kraków packing list for more advice on what to take.
- As with Easter, this is a time to book early. Otherwise you may be find yourself priced out of flight and good accommodation. Start checking early in the year and keep your eye on where costs are headed.
- Bring an appetite. The markets are great for Christmas shopping but the delicious smells of food will be the real treat. There’s nothing like a boozy hot drink and some hearty Polish cooking to drive away the cold!
Kraków Weather Month By Month
- Kraków Climate – When Is Best To Go To Kraków?
- Kraków Weather In January
- Kraków Weather In February
- Kraków Weather In March
- Kraków Weather In April
- Kraków Weather In May
- Kraków Weather In June
- Kraków Weather In July
- Kraków Weather In August
- Kraków Weather In September
- Kraków Weather In October
- Kraków Weather In November
- Kraków Weather In December