Although the heart of winter, December is one of Kraków’s busiest months. Yes, it’s cold and the days are very short, but there is plenty of festive cheer to go around!
Christmas in Kraków – image © Silar / CC BY-SA 3.0
In recent years, Kraków has increasingly become a Christmas and New Year destination for travellers looking for a break. As such, December is a busy month, with the excellent Christmas markets being particularly popular. It can be a romantic alternative to staying home for the festive period.
Temperatures drop to somewhere around freezing and it gets dark pretty early. There’s a chance of snow, so make sure you pack to stay warm. On the plus side, there’s relatively little rain at this time of year.
December temperatures in Kraków:
- Average high: 2°C / 36°F
- Average low: -3°C / 27°F
Average December rainfall in Kraków:
- 27 mm / 14 days
Average December daily sunshine in Kraków:
- 1 hour
Kraków Festivals And Events In December
- Silent Film Festival – Every December, Kino Pod Baranami – a cute art cinema tucked into a palace on the main market square – organises a festival of silent films, accompanied by live music.
- December 24 – Christmas Eve: Though not a public holiday, Christmas Eve (or Wigilia) is one of the most significant dates on the Polish calendar. Most shops and businesses will close around 2pm. This is a great time to visit – see our Christmas in Kraków guide for more details.
- December 25 – First Day of Christmas: Although the main Christmas meal takes place on December 24 in Poland, the following two days are public holidays when banks, malls, and larger shops are shut. Many restaurants, bars, and convenience stores will open, however, and public transport will run on a reduced service. Museums and galleries will be shut on December 25.
- December 26 – Second Day of Christmas: As with December 25, banks, malls, and larger shops will be closed today. But plenty of restaurants, bars, and convenience stores will be open, as well as most museums and galleries.
- December 31 – New Year’s Eve: Sylwester is not an official public holiday, however most businesses and stores will close around 5pm. We also have a guide to New Year’s In Kraków.
- You will moving between the cold outdoor air and heated indoor areas. Dress in layers, so you can moderate your temperature depending on your location. Staying warm is especially important. See our full Kraków packing list for more advice on what to take.
- As with Easter, this is a time to book early. Otherwise you may be find yourself priced out of flight and good accommodation. Start checking early in the year and keep your eye on where costs are headed.
- Bring an appetite. The markets are great for Christmas shopping but the delicious smells of food will be the real treat. There’s nothing like a boozy hot drink and some hearty Polish cooking to drive away the cold!
Kraków Weather Month By Month
- Kraków Climate – When Is Best To Go To Kraków?
- Kraków Weather In January
- Kraków Weather In February
- Kraków Weather In March
- Kraków Weather In April
- Kraków Weather In May
- Kraków Weather In June
- Kraków Weather In July
- Kraków Weather In August
- Kraków Weather In September
- Kraków Weather In October
- Kraków Weather In November
- Kraków Weather In December
Things To Do In Krakow
Start Planning Your Kraków Trip Now!
:: Find available Kraków hotels on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
:: Wondering where to stay in Krakow before you book your hotel? See our comprehensive guide to the city's most convenient areas for visitors.
:: Find the cheapest flight to Kraków with 12go - one search will show you the prices and times from scores of airlines for your trip. A real timesaver.
:: Book an airport transfer to take you hassle-free direct from the airport to your hotel with the driver meeting you in Arrivals.
:: Find out how to get your phone set up with a SIM card in Kraków.
:: Make sure you don't forget to bring any of the essentials with our comprehensive Packing List For Kraków.
:: World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world.
:: Get a KrakowCard 1-, 2- or 3-day pass that gives entry to almost 40 of the Kraków's fantastic attractions and unlimited use of the city's bus and tram network.
:: Need inspiration? Check our Kraków Itineraries for two-day, three-day, and four-day trips, as well as our Things To Do In Kraków guide for ideas of where to do and what to do.