January is generally the coldest month in Kraków, and one of the quietest, but it might be a good time to pick up an off-season bargain!
Wawel Hill – image © Zygmunt Put / CC BY-SA 4.0
January is usually the coldest month in Kraków, with temperatures dropping as low as -5°C during the night. However, it remains fairly dry, with quick showers here and there, and there hasn’t been much snow in recent years. Wrap up warm, bring a brolly, and you’ll find it’s a great city to visit at this time of year.
The Christmas season comes to a close with colourful and musical parades for Three Kings Day on January 6.
Book early and you’ll also get some great flight and accommodation bargains.
January temperatures in Kraków:
- Average high: 0°C / 32°F
- Average low: -5°C / 23°F
Average January rainfall in Kraków:
- 24 mm / 13 days
Average January daily sunshine in Kraków:
- 2 hours
Kraków Festivals And Events In January
- January 1 – New Year’s Day: Banks, malls and larger stores are closed, but convenience stores may be open. Many restaurants and bars will be open. Most museums and galleries will also be open, and New Year’s Day concerts are traditional in many venues.
- January 6 – Three Kings / Epiphany: Three Kings Day marks the end of Christmas, and is traditionally celebrated in Kraków with three parades, congregating on the main square shortly after 11am. This is a religious festival, when banks and stores are closed. Some museums and restaurants, however, will be open.
- Make sure you dress appropriately for this time of year. Staying warm is especially important and waterproof boots will keep you happy. See our full Kraków packing list for more advice on what to take.
- January visitors should arrive in time for the winter ice rink just outside the Galeria Krakowska shopping mall.
- If you’re a fan of winter activities, consider spending time in Zakopane. This mountain region is only a few hours from Kraków and very easy to reach.
Kraków Weather Month By Month
- Kraków Climate – When Is Best To Go To Kraków?
- Kraków Weather In January
- Kraków Weather In February
- Kraków Weather In March
- Kraków Weather In April
- Kraków Weather In May
- Kraków Weather In June
- Kraków Weather In July
- Kraków Weather In August
- Kraków Weather In September
- Kraków Weather In October
- Kraków Weather In November
- Kraków Weather In December
Things To Do In Krakow
Start Planning Your Kraków Trip Now!
:: Find available Kraków hotels on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
:: Wondering where to stay in Krakow before you book your hotel? See our comprehensive guide to the city's most convenient areas for visitors.
:: Find the cheapest flight to Kraków with 12go - one search will show you the prices and times from scores of airlines for your trip. A real timesaver.
:: Book an airport transfer to take you hassle-free direct from the airport to your hotel with the driver meeting you in Arrivals.
:: Find out how to get your phone set up with a SIM card in Kraków.
:: Make sure you don't forget to bring any of the essentials with our comprehensive Packing List For Kraków.
:: World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world.
:: Get a KrakowCard 1-, 2- or 3-day pass that gives entry to almost 40 of the Kraków's fantastic attractions and unlimited use of the city's bus and tram network.
:: Need inspiration? Check our Kraków Itineraries for two-day, three-day, and four-day trips, as well as our Things To Do In Kraków guide for ideas of where to do and what to do.