Brighter, warmer, but also wetter. Kraków in May will often see classic spring weather. The crowds are beginning but this can still be an optimal time to visit.
Easter and Christmas aside, the Kraków high season really kicks off in June. May is busier than previous months but you shouldn’t find it at all overcrowded. On good days, the temperatures are reaching the low to mid teens and there’s a full day of sun in the sky. But, you should also expect a few days of rain, so bring a light waterproof layer and some protective footwear.
There are a couple of public holidays in May, see below. These shouldn’t inconvenience your trip too much but they are worth bearing in mind.
Book early enough and you may still get a bargain flight and reasonably-priced accommodation at this time of year.
May temperatures in Kraków:
- Average high: 20°C / 68°F
- Average low: 8°C / 46°F
Average May rainfall in Kraków:
- 49 mm / 16 days
Average May daily sunshine in Kraków:
- 7 hours
Kraków Festivals And Events In May
- Photomonth – Kraków Photomonth, as the name implies, is a month-long photography festival, starting at the end of May, across the entire city, with a fringe event running alongside.
- May 1 – Labor Day / May Day: Although you may still witness political marches for workers’ rights, Labor Day is simply a public holiday for most. Banks, malls, and larger shops will be closed but many museums and places to eat and drink remain open.
- May 3 – Constitution Day: Celebrating the passing of the 1791 constitution, this is a patriotic public holiday and often a good opportunity for Poles to get away for a few days. Though many shops remain open, it’s likely that many restaurants, bars, and public attractions will be closed.
- Thanks to the relative lack of crowds and the mild weather, May is a good month to cram in a huge amount of sightseeing. See our Two-Day Kraków Itinerary, Three-Day Kraków Itinerary and our Four-Day Kraków Itinerary pages.
- You should also consider investing in a KrakowCard to give you cheap access to lots of Kraków attractions on rainy days.
- Spring in the outdoor region of Zakopane can be delightful. It’s only a few hours from Kraków and very easy to reach.
Kraków Weather Month By Month
- Kraków Climate – When Is Best To Go To Kraków?
- Kraków Weather In January
- Kraków Weather In February
- Kraków Weather In March
- Kraków Weather In April
- Kraków Weather In May
- Kraków Weather In June
- Kraków Weather In July
- Kraków Weather In August
- Kraków Weather In September
- Kraków Weather In October
- Kraków Weather In November
- Kraków Weather In December